Body Sculpting after Massive Weight Loss
Patients who have undergone bariatric surgery or have experienced extreme weight loss can take care of their access skin and wrinkles with body sculpting in Salt Lake City.
In addition to reducing the health risks associated with being overweight, bariatric surgery also improves the physique of individuals who are morbidly obese. However, even patients with the best bariatric surgery results may be disappointed if they have large amounts of excess skin that conceal their beautiful new curves. Body sculpting after bariatric surgery is the perfect solution. Dr. Leland Chick is a board certified cosmetic surgeon who frequently practices post weight loss body sculpting surgery. The procedure eliminates excess skin, tightens the remaining skin and refines the contours of the body.
Post-Bariatric Procedure Combinations
Post-bariatric surgery body sculpting is customized to the individual patient’s needs. A treatment plan will include one or more of the following procedures:
- Abdominoplasty removes the excess abdominal skin/apron that result from massive weight loss. It also tightens up the abdominal muscles that get stretched out following weight gain and pregnancies. It is not covered by insurance.
- Panniculectomy, which may be covered by some insurance companies, only involves the excision of the pannus (skin fold) without the more extensive remodeling seen with abdominoplasties.
- Hernia repairs may be done with abdominoplasty or panniculectomy, and is often covered by insurance.
- Lower body lift to correct sagging skin on the abdomen, outer thighs, buttocks, hips and waist. Lower body lift incisions extend circumferentially around the body to remove excess skin and fat deposits. For many patients it is preferable to abdominoplasty because it also treats the flanks.
- Thigh lift tightens sagging skin on the upper inner thighs.
- Arm lift to tighten the skin on the upper arms and remove fat deposits.
- Facelift to smooth and tone the skin on the neck, and eliminate facial jowls.
- Breast lift to restore the breasts to a higher position on the chest. Some women may choose to have implants placed to increase the size of their breasts, or breast reduction to remove excess breast tissue.
- Liposuction to remove localized fat deposits from specific areas of the body, often the flanks or inner thighs and knees.
Post-bariatric surgery body sculpting procedures may sometimes be performed at the same time, but it may be best to do larger procedures in different stages. Combining surgeries on the same day eliminates the need for multiple recoveries, but it can increase some of the surgical risks. Dr. Chick will explain all of the options and safety information to the patient during a consultation so he or she can make informed decisions about surgery.
Will Post Weight Loss Body Sculpting Cause Scarring?
Some degree of scarring will be inevitable, but Dr. Chick will do his best to conceal the scarring in inconspicuous areas. Recovery from post-bariatric surgery body sculpting will depend on the procedures performed. In general, it takes patients several weeks to recover and return to work, school and normal activities. Strenuous exercise should be avoided until Dr. Chick says it is safe to resume.
Schedule a Consultation
Dr. Leland Chick is an experienced post-bariatric body contouring surgeon who has helped many Salt Lake City patients finally achieve their aesthetic goals after weight loss. If you are interested in learning more about post-bariatric body sculpting, contact Dr. Chick today at 801-322-1188. Now serving patients in Moab.